Sunday, August 24, 2008

Butter me up, hon.


The apple butter is complete! Beautiful! Tasty! It will be delicious on some waffles in the morning... I doubt I'll be pulling out the waffle iron anytime soon... my thumb is still throbbing. So here goes. I tweaked this recipe for apple butter in the crockpot.

Lazy Apple Butter
Ingredients

• Crockpot full of Quartered apples, stems removed
• 4 cups sugar (I used a bag of raw sugar and a couple tablespoons of brown sugar I had sitting around just to use it up)
• 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Directions
1. Place apples in crockpot.
2. Sprinkle with sugar, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and stir.
3. Cook on high for 1 hour.
4. Decrease heat to low; cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown.
5. Stir occasionally.
6. Uncover and cook on low for 1 hour longer.
7. Puree with hand blender.
8. Pour into jars. Since I didn't boil the jars and can them properly, they'll have to live in the refrigerator. I'm not that advanced yet. :)

I got these two jars and ½ of a small pickle jar full. Neat thing about this recipe is, it's hard to mess it up. Just cook it until it's mush. If it's not sweet enough, add more sugar. If it's too sweet, well, I guess your out of luck. I suppose you could make another batch and make it not sweet enough and then mix the two together. :) Can ya tell the only training I've had was watching Food Network? :oP

3 comments:

VeganCowGirl said...

great choice for your apple supply! I have never made apple butter before....I love love love it though.

Thanks for the recipe, I will be sure to give it a try as soon as the Belgian apples are ready to drop.

Bianca said...

Who knew apple butter could be so easy! Now I know what I'm gonna do if someone gives me a bunch of apples.

KP said...

ooh yay! I love apple butter. And that would be soooo tasty on some cinnamon waffles in the fall!